Advertisements

create a macOS Catalina VM with VMware Fusion

Update: This is no longer an issue with Fusion 11.5

Here’s a quick note on how-to setup a macOS catalina VM on VMware Fusion 11. Credit for figuring out how-to do this goes to vmtn users Bogdam and intel008 as they are the ones who posted the resolution in the following thread at VMTN: macOS Catalina VMs do not run in VMware Fusion 11.1.0

This thread describes the problems you bump into if you try to upgrade a macOS Mojave VM to the new beta macOS Catalina. Basically if you run the upgrade then your VM will hang on reboot. If you then try to reboot it in verbose mode, so that you can see what happens, you’ll get the following screen.

macOS Catalina boot error

Yikes, that’s no good!

Then user bogdam reported he could get passed this by changing the virtual machine hardware to Windows 10. I tried that, but my VM no longer booted. As it turns out, the main trick is to start from a new VM, not upgrade an existing one. But as it involves a few more steps, not all of them obvious, I figured to write it out for you.

So first things first. If you want to get that 6.4GB “Install macOS 10.15 Beta.app” installer out of the VM then you cannot use the VMware Fusion shared folders feature. You can however drag & drop the installer bundle from your VM to your host OS, or copy it out using a network share via AFP (not samba).

Then the steps to install your new macOS Catalina VM are as follows.

First select File New from within VMware Fusion:

Install a new VM dialog

Now go back to Finder and drag your installer on top of the above dialog and drop it there.

You’ll get this screen:

New VM dialog with macOS Catalina installer dropped on it

Click Continue

Select the default macOS guest OS for it, for now

Select macOS 10.14 and continue

Basic install done, now customize and the detour begins

Do not click Finish here, instead click “Customize Settings”

This will then give you a save as dialog where you can change the name.

Save as dialog

Click save and now Fusion is going to create “installation media” for you on the disk. When it is done you will be presented with the VM in shut down state and the settings dialog.

Change settings on your new VM before initial boot

Click general and change the guest OS to Windows 10 x64 like so:

Set the guest OS to Windows 10 x64 (yes really, this helps)

Click “Change” to confirm, then show all and boot the VM.

The normal boot screen should appear (if it does not, then choose the macOS recovery image from the boot menu in the UEFI after it times out)

Once you are booting, you should get the familiar language selection:

language selection boot dialog

and you’ll be booted into the recovery menu:

macOS recovery menu, select Install

Click “Install macOS” and continue.

macOS 10.15 install can continue

You are now starting with the normal setup and the VM is getting installed.

On reboot however you’ll be getting this:

macOS Catalina – first reboot, now what’s that?

which is followed up by this:

macOS reboot on install – boot manager

Whoa..

Select “Boot normally” and press Enter.

This should then give you the normal boot progress screen:

macOS Catalina, the real install in progress

which takes a while to complete.

Go pet the cat, feed the fish or grab a coffee. You’ve got about 10 minutes, maybe more if your hardware is a bit older.

When the install is done, you’ll get this again:

macOS Catalina, another boot problem

Which eventually drops you back in the boot manager menu.

macOS Catalina Boot Manager – shut ‘r down

This time select “Shut down the system”

Now when you are ready to boot into your new VM, you first should change back the guest OS type to macOS. Go to Fusion menu “Virtual Machine” -> Settings -> General and make the change:

macOS guest OS – change it back to macOS

That’s it.

Now you can boot into your new macOS Catalina VM!

macOS Catalina – Welcome screen

Advertisements

28 comments

5 pings

Skip to comment form

1. I was also ultimately able to make this work, but it took several different attempts to get the initial boot working. Not sure why the last of about 5 tries worked and the others didn’t. But once I was able to get the initial install process working, everything worked fine after that point.

• Jan-E on June 9, 2019 at 2:03 pm

Did you run XCode 11 beta? There is a report that it is crashing: https://stackoverflow.com/q/56513563/872051

2. Hello Jan,

No I haven’t had a chance for that yet. A problem is also mentioned at the original thread I based this post on. See: https://communities.vmware.com/message/2863869#2863869

I hope that the VMware Fusion team has a chance to address it, but it might not be.

• Jan-E on June 10, 2019 at 2:09 am

Hello Wil,

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2863869#2863869 is another error as the one reported on stackoverflow: https://stackoverflow.com/q/56513563/872051

I am running into the stackoverflow version of the crash. The difference might be that my VM is running in VMware player, not in VMware Fusion. But I had to use the same Windows 10 x64 trick to get it installed.

I sure hope the VMware devs find a fix or Apple fixes it in one of the coming beta’s. I’d like to play around before the release of macOS 10.15.

• Charles on June 11, 2019 at 1:34 pm

Hi,

First let me thank you for this excellent guide. Unfortunately, for me, it’s failing 🙁

I followed the instructions, and when powering up the vm I see a progression bar (the usual when installing macOS) but at about 2/3 I get the “Forbidden Sign”, and that’s it.

Have tried it several times, with the same result. Any hints?

Appreciate any reply
    Regards

Charles

• thmsdj on June 19, 2019 at 1:47 pm

Could it be that you are using InstallESD instead of the .app? I had issues first with the ESD.dmg but after I switched to the app and Windows 10 x64 profile everything was smooth sailing. After the installation the software will work with any later macOS profile.

3. Hi Charles, Thanks.

There’s two things that come to my mind that might possibly cause this.
    1. A corrupted download of the installer. The solution would be to try and download again.
    2. If your installer is still mounted in Finder then you cannot run the installer. If you see the installer image connected in Finder then disconnect it before trying to run the installer again.

Wil

• Charles on June 14, 2019 at 12:16 pm

Hi Wil,

Thanks for your suggestion. Not sure why it was “corrupted”, I redownloaded Catalina, and I was able to proceed.
      I did experience some weird issues, but at the end i managed to get a working installation.
      I need to do some more testing, when I finish I will share my experience and acquire knowledge about Catalina B1 here.

Cheers
      Charles

4. So, for the step to create the installer, it needs to be in macOS 10.14 mode,

For all of the steps running the INSTALLER VMDK (initial boot and config, second boot “About x minutes remaining), the mode needs to be in Windows 10 x64.

For the boot of the completely installed system, it should be switched back to macOS 10.14.

Seems like a correctly set up macOS 10.5 profile, when created, might fix this.

• Jan-E on July 3, 2019 at 10:18 am

Updating to Catalina beta 2 and beta 3 without a complete new install is as challenging as well. After the first reboot it crashed once again. I changed the OS into ‘other x64’ rebooted and waited for the bootmanager.

There I chose for EFI Internal Shell. It gave me 5 seconds to press ESC before executing startup.nsh. At the prompt I entered

fs0:
    ls
    load VboxApfs.efi
    map -r

After this it had mounted all the needed volumes and went on installing the update after an ‘exit’ to leave the (unsupported) shell. After the next reboot I waited again for the bootmanager and shut down the system. Changing the OS back to macOS 10.14 completed the update.

BTW In the teminal of Catalina, it is best to enter this to see what is going on during the boot process:
    sudo nvram boot-args=”-v”
    -v = verbose.

• Jan-E on July 22, 2019 at 6:20 pm

The same upgrade procedure from beta 3 ot beta 4 fails. The problem is that install.nsh expects the installation files on fs1: which are in reality (after the ‘map -r’) on fs3:. This effectively blocks a normal upgrade through the appstore.

I have not found a workaround yet. Anyone else successful?

• Dominik on July 21, 2019 at 10:48 am

I did successfully follow these instructions for beta 1, but a failed upgrade to beta 2 destroyed that VM.
    So now I tried againb with beta 4 and am stuck in a boot loop after the last changing back to “macos 10.14” in the Fusion settings.
    It then boots up to about ¾ of the indicator beneath the apple and then restarts 🙁
    Any pointers?

• avitzur on August 11, 2019 at 10:10 pm

Thank you! Success (on the third try) with Fusion 11.1.1 on a Mac OS X Pro 5,1, with 10.15 Beta (19A526h)

• Michael on August 20, 2019 at 3:46 pm

No success
    beta4, fusion 11.1.1, MacPro6.1
    It stops after the change back to 10.14 setting showing the apple on a black screen, but the progress bar is not avail. Just like you try to upgrade an existing 10.14 or 10.15beta
    Any idea is welcome

1. At the VMTN forum user Dima187 suggests to directly connect keyboard/mouse. His post is not entirely clear I’m afraid, but have a look at the following KB article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1033435

• Michael on August 21, 2019 at 1:27 pm

Hi Wil,
        thanks for the reply and the hint. I tried it but had it was not successful.
        It’s a beta5 btw. and it seems that the issue has nothing to do with 11.1.1 upgrade, because I was able to create successfully a beta3 vm.

1. The Fusion 11.1.1 upgrade is only to handle the 10.14.6 issue with > 2GB RAM as mentioned in this article: https://planetvm.net/blog/?p=67185
          I haven’t had the time to try the newest beta from Catalina myself yet.

• marfas on August 20, 2019 at 10:13 pm

Does this work for beta 6? I’ve got it working on beta 1-5 but was unable to do the same on beta 6

• Liam on August 21, 2019 at 12:39 am

Looks like the trick isn’t working anymore on 10.15 Beta 6 (19A536g). On the final step, it now gets stuck on the Apple logo.

Anyone figure it out?

• Thomas on August 25, 2019 at 3:51 pm

The same issue here…. with Beta 6 it hangs at apple boot logo… Does someone has an idea? Even using the option “Other, 64-Bit”, which was stated in several other blogs, doesn’t work for me….

• Holly Lee on August 29, 2019 at 10:29 am

Same. And if you pressed Command+V on booting, you can see same error message as 1st figure in this blog.

• Tester on August 29, 2019 at 8:55 am

Same issue with beta 7. Possible need vmware upgrade to compatible version.

• Bernhard on August 29, 2019 at 5:04 pm

https://macsimom.blogspot.com/2019/08/how-to-get-catalina-beta-6-running-on.html provides a method to install Catalina Beta 6 in a Fusion VM. I used “method 1” to install Catalina Beta 7 (19A546d) on an old Macbook Pro with OS X El Capitan and VMware Fusion 8.5.10 (the MacBook does not run newer versions).

• Steven on September 17, 2019 at 9:38 pm

I have VMWare Fusion 11.1.1, the installer is beta 8, in the customize settings step, after clicked save, it will say “Unable to create the installation medium”, then I clicked OK, the temp VM will be deleted automatically and leave blank in the VM list

• Steven on September 17, 2019 at 11:17 pm

I got stuck after all the processed before last two steps, selected BIOS from shutdown, change the OS back to 10.14, reboot the VM, stuck in the white apple logo without any further

1. As it happens I created a new beta 8 Catalina VM just yesterday and I ended up using the steps from the original VMTN thread: https://communities.vmware.com/message/2883363#2883363 post # 60 by @briankendall. I replied to the thread as I had to make a few small changes in order to get it to work. My main issue was not starting out with a macOS VM in step 3.

• Phillip Remaker on October 8, 2019 at 1:28 am

Epilogue: VMWare Fusion 11.5 fully supports Catalina guests, and even allowed by dead, unbootable VMs to run and finish their Beta Catalina installs.

So, go get the latest VMWare Fusion to run Catalina guests.

5. Thanks Rob for your additional tip at https://robservatory.com/install-macos-10-15-catalina-in-a-fusion-virtual-machine/ That’s a great addition.
    Somehow the details can be slightly different. Also ran it last night and it was a bit different from what I saw this morning when writing the post.
    Not sure why that is, but if it works… Yes I agree it is great to have it as a VM so you can test things out a bit.

1. […] some enterprising Fusion users (Bogdam and intel008) have figured out a workaround. I tried it, and while it did work for me, I had to change the instructions just a bit (read on for […]

2. […] How to install 10.15 Beta 1 on VMFusion Blog Post – planetvm.net/blog/?p=64552 […]

3. […] submitted by /u/DfGuidance to r/vmware [link] […]

4. […] Wil van Antwerpen: […]

5. […] Create a macOS Catalina VM with VMware Fusion – William van Antwerpen, PlanetVM […]

Comments have been disabled.

%d bloggers like this: